|While it's a wonderful time of year, it is also important that we stay alert and remember that not everyone’s intentions are good. |
The following are some cautionary reminders that will keep you safer while shopping.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Solicitors are not allowed on property. There have been burglary cases where people are disguised as solicitors selling magazines to gain entrance to homes throughout Florida . Contact Sheriff’s Dept of any suspicious activity.
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Have your mail and newspapers picked up each day if you are away.
About two-thirds of vehicle burglaries in Wellington during the 2009 budget year targeted unlocked vehicles. At the same time, the number of vehicle break-ins in the village was shooting up. Duh!
A quick-thinking mother stopped a possible kidnapping Thursday 12/17/2009 when she screamed after a man grabbed her son in the Publix parking lot on Northlake Boulevard.
- Park in a well-lighted area and lock all doors.
- Store valuables in the trunk and out of site.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious persons.
- Ask for assistance from store security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash or wearing expensive jewelry.
- Always carry identification with you.
- Stay in groups (safety in numbers).