In the coming weeks, FPL will be in our neighborhood to replace our electric meters with a smart meters.
Installation is simple and included as part of our service. There is no additional charge to you. And you don't have to be present during the installation as our meters are located outdoors where FPL can easily get to them.
- An FPL-approved contractor, Honeywell or an FPL technician, will perform the meter upgrade.
- Installers carry identification, but will not need to enter your home.
- Expect a momentary interruption to your service - a normal part of a meter change.
After the installation is complete, FPL will continue to read the meter manually until the transition to smart meters in our area is complete. At that time:
- FPL will begin reading the meter remotely.
- You will be able to log on to FPL's secure website to see how much energy you are using by the hour, day, and month to help you make more informed energy choices.
It could take several months to complete the transition because there are a lot of associated communications and networking components that must be put into place. When the smart meter is activated, FPL will send you more details about these and other smart meter benefits.
Visit www.FPL.com/smartmeter for more information.
Picture of Smart Meters installed 5/24/2011